Echo Glen Children’s Center is a Washington State Juvenile Detention facility and a school operated by the Issaquah School District. There are 160 to 185 great kids as young as 11 and up to 20 years old. Most have been neglected or abused by parent(s) who may have also been neglected and abused. It seems to be a continuous cycle - one that Echo Glen staff is determined to break. These kids crave positive attention from adults and need good role models. Nearly all have dangerously low self-esteem.
International Smile Power volunteers began partnering with Echo Glen kids and staff in 1999. Our first outreach created a bridge of friendship between the youth at EG and orphans in Bolivia. We saw how life-transforming helping others can be for these youth and the below events and volunteer opportunities were initiated from there.
Background checks are required and you must over 21 to interact with the youth, but prep work can be done by any age or group.
Here are opportunities to show these appreciative kids that you care - click the links for more information:
- International Smile Power Outreach - help the Echo Glen youth paint T-shirts and write friendship messages that will be delivered to children in another country by ISP volunteers.
- Service Project Socials - Come chat with 3 or 4 youth while helping them with a project that helps others. Adopt-a-Cottage - for small groups that would like to socialize with a 'cottage' of kids every other month.
- Art Docent – 2 volunteers go into a class of 10 students once a month from 12:15 PM to 1:24 PM (day of month decided by EG teacher and volunteers). NO artistic talent required – lesson plans and supplies are provided. Be a lead docent or assist.
- Job Skills Fair – Share your knowledge of creating resumes, dress for success, interview skills, how to make a great first impression. Bi- annual event. Resume Writing & Interviewing Skills - You will be equipped with all resources and knowledge needed to help the youth.
- Empower Women –share things that moms usually teach their daughters… nail, hair or skin care, make-up, and fashions for every body type… anything to boost a young girl’s self-esteem.
- Birthday Cakes – provide a cake once a month or once a year for a child who would not otherwise receive one. (no age minimum)
- Annual Golf Clinic – If you have a slight ability to swing a golf club, please join us. Inspire a child – help them find a new talent or hobby.
To join us, donate arts & crafts supplies, have your group fund raise to support the EG events, or if you have an idea for a future service project social – email email@example.com
- Tutor kids in various school subjects
- Mentor - similar to being a Big Brother or Big Sister; just hang out & spend time with one child
- Teach photography to a group of 4 youths with EG's cameras
- Help in the Recreation Department –
help coach a sport or some other activity If you have a passion – there
are children who would love to have you share it with them.